HIRING FULL TIME LIBRARY DIRECTOR
The Reinbeck Public Library seeks to fill the position of full time Library Director. The Board of trustees is in search of a qualified individual with Library and leadership experience.
Education/Training: High school diploma or GED and completion of Public Library Management I and II and
Work Experience: preference given to two years working in a library; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
Pay Range: $36,000 to $37,500
Under general direction of the Library Board, monitors, coordinates and supervises the operation of the library, and is responsible for library planning, policies, procedure, budget and personnel.
Essential Job Duties:
- Represents library to community by maintaining contact with City officials, community organizations and citizens. Attends regular City Council meetings.
- Utilizes all available media to promote/publicize library events and services.
- Assists patrons with materials and reference questions.
- Coordinates interlibrary loan services.
- Organizes and prepares necessary information and agenda prior to meeting of Library Board.
- Attends each meeting of Library Board.
- Acts as liaison between city officials, board and staff.
- Collects and analyzes statistics on library use and circulation.
- Prepares and submits reports to Board, City officials, State Library and citizens.
- Attends meetings and training sessions for professional development.
- Interviews, trains, and supervises library employees and volunteers.
- Directs and evaluates work performed by staff.
- Submits time sheets to city staff for payroll.
- Evaluates community needs and establishes short and long term goals for library with input from board and staff.
- Plans, organizes, supervises and promotes library programs and services.
- Reads and reviews library publications to stay informed of trends and progress in library services.
- Tracks patron requests and recommendations.
- Develops policies on selection, acquisition, withdrawal and other issues for approval by Board.
- Makes purchase decisions based on reviews, patron requests, cost and other appropriate factors.
- Orders materials for all library departments.
- Withdraws materials according to library policies.
- Catalogs materials using the automation system.
- Administers library policies regarding circulation, overdue items, lost items, and borrowing privileges.
- Administers library budget and finances.
- Approves all expenditures.
- Plans annual children’s summer reading program and other special events.
Incidental Job Duties
- Gives library tours to students and citizens.
- Coordinates and provides outreach services to shut-ins and nursing homes.
- Repairs materials as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skill and abilities.
o Ability to access, retrieve, read and analyze technical data.
o Ability to prepare and administer budgets and basic knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping functions.
o Ability to consult technical sources and documents and access reference materials, including the Internet.
o Ability to report, write or edit articles for publication in proper format using proper grammar.
o Ability to work independently and in consultation with governing board.
o Ability to plan, organize assign, supervise and evaluate the work of library staff and volunteers.
o Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers, city officials, the Library Board of Trustees and the public.
o Familiarity with library materials and books appropriate for various ages and reading levels.
o Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of library science.
o Ability to develop, propose and implement library policies that allow for effective and efficient delivery of library services.
o Ability to proficiently use standard office and library equipment including circulation/catalog computer software.
o Ability to maintain required certifications.
o Ability to safely reach, lift, carry, push, and move books and other materials weighing up to 40 pounds.
o Ability to safely climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, stand, walk throughout the library, grasp and make repetitive motions.
To apply, email your resume along with a cover letter to: email@example.com
Please include 2 references.
Accepting applications through April 6th
Position open until filled.